Friday, November 06, 2009

Gyroscopic Inertia





We master the physics of motion so easily as we grow up, then why is it so difficult for us to master the physics of emotion?

I was standing in the bus fighting its centrifugal force as it made a sharp turn across the road. The sudden jolts when the driver hit the brakes, the sudden pull backs when he accelerated on a miraculously empty patch of road. I felt everything and even before the inertia could make me lose my balance, I controlled my muscles to stay put. I did lose my sense of the center of gravity, but it was easier to balance with just the muscles in my feet.

Some of my recent experiences have taught me so many valuable lessons about having been able to develop my fictional muscles which I can use to control my emotions. I don't know how effectively I would be able to grasp them, but its still fun to flex them nevertheless. Sometimes things just hit me point blank even before I am allowed to realize what I am supposed to think about them. Each of this instance is a test of my instinct, although largely the actions that follow then become the test of my emotions. I do face an inability to perceive what the outcome can be or should be, but I am slowly learning to bridge this gap.

I have been observing people around me, mostly elders and their mannerisms & how they have been handling some of my shared experiences. I must say there was some amount of experience embedded in their actions, although there was mostly that instinctive response that we could expect from someone who would go through it for first time. It taught me something that even after having tonnes of experience in handling such family issues and tackling such situations, there can be an element of surprise (or lack of recall of the action taken earlier). It bothered me when I realized that this could also happen to me as I grow more experienced. In investing, maybe even after learning from some of my mistakes I can eventually endorse to my intuition for guidance at the same time rely on facts to back me up. It may not be in that order & thats where lies the rump.

Indulging in classics helped me grip reality at a whole new level, especially learning from putting myself in their shoes. One thing which is supposed to sound like a management lesson from the 30's is, "Don't try fixin' what aien't broken." Its fun to read this thought, because most of my actions were tending to fix things that "I" perceived to be broken. So if my perception was so strong as to lead me to act when no action was necessary, would this perception drive me to make similar mistakes in my investment decisions?

Yes, some thoughts have haunted me, some have sobered me & some experiences have humbled me beyond recognition. This seems like living in a pinball machine, bobbing around bumping onto experiences to get reward points of knowledge.

Or.... maybe I am reading far too much into my own deluded reality!

No comments: